We have a number of efforts underway to improve our neighborhood. Working together and partnering with existing groups in the community will beneficial to all of our residents. If you would like to join in a project please post on the discussion group or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Benefit District (CBD)
- If you are interested in joining our CBD Planning group please request to be added to
This is a long term project but will benefit our neighborhood for the future.
- Check out our Meeting page for audio and slides from our kick off CBD information meeting with Chris Corgas from the Mayors Office of Economic and Workforce Development
- Walk the streets and report where brighter street lights and tree cutting is needed
- There is a city fund that will fund this but we need to do it soon.
- Less dark spots help in crime prevention
- We need someone to lead this effort (It would be picking a night to go in groups in the neighborhood. I’m pretty sure that Cpt. Fong would help us with this.)
- Car Break in Warning Signs
- We have spoken with Cpt. Fong about this and he is fully behind this effort
- We have backing from city departments on the signs.
- Spreadsheet for sign locations in Western Soma. This information has been shared on our discussion list and on NextDoor.
- Example of signs.
- Next steps are getting the list, sharing with Cpt. Fong and getting it to City Departments.
- Also think of getting signs for businesses to display in windows similar to those distributed by Taraval Community Police Advisory Board – http://hoodline.com/2016/06/sfpd-taraval-station-meeting-recap-crime-stats-public-safety-and-the-dangers-of-feeding-wildlife
4 Corner Fridays
- We heard about the success of 4cornerfridays in the TenderLoin from Cpt.Ewins at our September meeting
- Angie Yap is leading this initiative.
Downtown Streets Team for Western Soma
- Ben Woosley is leading a fundraising effort to bring the Downtown Streets Team to our neighborhood
- Our Tilt page for fundraising
Parks & Green Spaces in Western Soma
- Jane Weil who represents D6 on the Park & Rec Advisory Committee is working to get more parks in the neighborhood. Our neighborhood has the least amount of green space per person in the city.
- Currently there is a commitment to purchase half acre on 11th Street, between Minna and Natoma. Though this park will not break ground until 2024.
- We do want to encourage the purchase land which can be used for park sooner than 2024. e.g. there is empty lot on mission between 7th and 8th. To encourage Rec and Park to do this we need to come together as a community with multiple requests to the Rec&Park commission to advocate for ourselves.
- Online Petition – https://www.change.org/p/rec-park-commission-bring-more-green-space-to-western-soma